The Lighthouse Programme
Rangiora High school has a policy of inclusive education. The school established a Mainstream Support unit in the early 1990s. The name was changed in 2020 to The Lighthouse Programme.
The Head of the Lighthouse Programme can be contacted by calling the school on +64 3 3118888.
The Lighthouse programme coordinates individualised programmes for ORS funded learners through Individual Learning Plans. Achievable goals are developed through a collaborative process with teachers, whānau, key contacts from the Ministry of Education and the individual learners. Opportunities for students to learn alongside their mainstream peers is encouraged where possible. Students are supported where necessary by kaiāwhina (learning assistants) to attend these classes.
The Lighthouse Programme includes:
- Core teaching in numeracy and literacy.
- Achievement units towards The New Zealand Certificate in Skills for Supported Learners - an NZQA approved course (where applicable).
- Special Olympics certificate events and Secondary school sport competitions for students with disabilities.
- Sensory learning opportunities.
- Individualised programmes including speech, communication, physiotherapy, Occupational therapy.
- Community volunteering.
- Work experience (where applicable).